In the summer time, we love to grow and pick red firm tomatoes from our garden Below are a couple of ways to enjoy the summer tomatoes to serve either during lunch or dinner
How to prepare a fried tomato with fried onions on top
- 1 medium, red tomato
- Salt and pepper for taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- butter or oil
- 3 small bowls
- cutting board
- fork or a whisk
- Set up 3 small bowls
- one bowl has the flour
- second bowl has an egg whisked into a tablespoon of milk
- third bowl has a breadcrumbs
- Next cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices.
- Now we are ready to assemble the ingredients. First dip a slice of tomato in the flour on both sides. Then dip the tomato in the egg mixture. Finally, dip the tomato both sides into the bowl of breadcrumbs. Season the coated tomato with salt and pepper.
- Finally, in a large skillet heat oil or butter over medium heat. Place the coated tomato in the hot oil/butter and fry until golden brown, turning once. Repeat the steps with the remaining tomato slices. It does not take too long to fry the tomatoes about 3-5 minutes on each side. The result is a nice crisp fried tomatoes.
- These are fantastic with Danish fried onions on top. If you want to have fried onions on top see our video on how to make homemade Danish Fried Onions. Serve immediately as a side dish.
An Open Faced Tomato Egg Sandwich
- 2 slices of fried tomatoes
- salt and pepper for taste
- 1 tablespoon of fried onions
- 1 fried egg
- 1 slice of white bread
- You can make a sandwich with two slices of fried tomatoes too.
- First, butter a slice of bread.
- Place two fried tomatoes on the buttered bread. Make sure there is at least a tablespoon of fried onions are over the fried tomatoes too.
- Next add a fried egg over the tomatoes and onions.
- Now we are ready to serve this sandwich! Delicious!