If you make a pork roast with red cabbage, you probably have all the toppings (pålæg) for a great smørrebrød table the next day. Making a classic roast pork open sandwich is always a sure-fire crowd pleaser too. It was and still is a completely delicious treat!
Below are a few ingredients to make an absolutely delicious sandwich.
- 1 piece of rye bread
- European style butter
- 2 slices of roast pork
- 3 or 4 pieces of pork crisp/ crackling
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of red cabbage
- 3 or 4 dill pickle
- 3 or 4 prunes
- When you are ready to make this smørrebrød, the first thing to do is butter a piece of dark Danish rye bread.
- Lay across the rye bread either 2 slices of pork roast. Depending on the size of the pork roast.
- Then, add a nice large spoonful of red cabbage on top of the pork roast. This adds a delicious flavor to this sandwich.
- Add 3 or 4 slice of pickle fanned out on side.
- Finally add 3 or 4 prunes on the side
- Lay over the red cabbage 3 or 4 slices of pork crisp/ crackling
It’s that easy! This sandwich goes great with enjoy with lager beer too. We usually set the table with a Royal Copenhagen plate, a fork, a knife and a glass for the beer.
Be sure to send me pictures of YOUR open-faced sandwiches.
Karen Grete and Heidi
Check out some of our other postings such as
- how to make Danish Christmas rice pudding with cherry sauce dessert recipe (Risalamande med kirsebærsauce)
- how to make Swedish Glogg for Christmas & cold evenings! (glögg or mulled wine recipe)
- how to make aeblskiver (æbleskiver)
- how to make Danish Christmas Klejner
- how to make easy Danish cucumber salad (arguksalat)
- how to make Danish sugar browned potatoes (brunede kartofler)
- how to make Danish red cabbage (rødkaal)
These recipes are perfect for the holiday season. Please let us know what you think!
Our Scandinavian recipes including Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish are on http://scandinavtoday.blogspot.com/
Follow us either on Twitter @scandinavtoday, Blogger, Google+, Google Pages, Pinterest and Subscribe to our YouTube Chanel Scandinavian Today! Let’s get cooking Scandinavian foods!