Our Smoked White Fish with Caviar open-faced sandwich is both pretty and delicious to make.
Below are a few ingredients to make an absolutely delicious white fish sandwich.
- 1 slice of rye bread
- butter (European-style butter is easier to spread)
- 2-3 large spoonfuls of scrambled eggs
- 3-4 tomato wedges
- 1-2 large pieces of smoked white fish (smoked herring or mackerel are great options too)
- 1-2 teaspoons of black caviar
- 2-3 teaspoons of chopped green onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- Before adding a topping, spread butter onto a slice of rye bread. This protects the bread from moisture.
- Generously lay across the rye bread either 1-2 large pieces of smoked white fish (depending on size). You want to cover the bread with the smoked white fish. If need be, press gently down on the white fish to make sure the bread is covered with the white fish.
- Next we are creating 4 single diagonal rows to give the sandwich some flare and beautiful contrasting colors.
- First, carefully add scrambled eggs on top of the whitefish in a single row
- Second, add on top of the smoked white fish 1 to 2 spoonfuls of black caviar as a single row. The caviar needs to be next to the scrambled eggs
- Third, on the other side of the scrambled eggs add chopped green onions. This is the third row.
- The fourth row is the white fish which is already on the bread.
- On the side of the sandwich add fresh tomato wedges which gives another beautiful color and contrast.
So this sandwich has beautiful rows of colors: green (onions), yellow (eggs), black (caviar) and white (smoked white fish). Plus red (tomato wedges on the side of the sandwich).
It’s that easy! If you like a little salt and pepper, add to taste. This sandwich goes great with a Danish beer too. We usually set the table with a Royal Copenhagen plate, a fork, a knife and a glass for the beer. When we have a Danish celebration, we traditionally have Danish beer and schnapps with an open-faced sandwich and say Skål frequently!
If you like the video, please be sure to subscribe to our YouTube Channel Scandinavian Today. Our channel has videos including
*how to make Danish Christmas rice pudding with cherry sauce dessert recipe (Risalamande med kirsebærsauce)
*how to make Swedish Glogg for Christmas & cold evenings! (glögg or mulled wine recipe)
*how to make aeblskiver (æbleskiver)
*how to make Danish Christmas Klejner
*how to make easy Danish cucumber salad (arguksalat)
*how to make Danish sugar browned potatoes (brunede kartofler)
*how to make Danish red cabbage (rødkaal)
These recipes are perfect for the holiday season. Please let us know what you think!
Our Scandinavian recipes including Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish are on http://scandinavtoday.blogspot.com/
Follow us either on Twitter @scandinavtoday, Blogger, Google+, Google Pages, Pinterest and Subscribe to our YouTube Chanel Scandinavian Today! Let’s get cooking Scandinavian foods!