Have you ever had Junket or in Danish “tykmælk”? Junket is a milk product which has been produced in Denmark for hundreds of years. Junket is one of the most popular fermented milk products in Denmark. My mother made junket when I was growing up. It is very easy to make.
For 4 portions
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1/2 a cup pf heavy cream
- 1/2 a cup of buttermilk
- 2 slices of rye bread crumbled
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Mix the milk with the buttermilk and the heavy cream in a bowl.
- Cover the bowl and place it on the kitchen counter at room temperature (at least 70F).
- After leaving the covered bowl on the counter for aprox 18 hours (or until next day) the milk mixture will be thickened.
- Now move the junket to the refrigerator, so it is cold before serving.
- Serve junket (tykmaelk) with the traditional rye bread topping.
- Take 2 slices of rye bread crumbled and mixed with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Put the bread topping over junket (tykmaelk) just the same way as granola.