- 3 1/2 cup (450 g) of bread flour
- 1/3 cup (70 g) of sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (8 g) of active dried yeast
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp (30 g) melted unsalted butter
- 3/4 (180 ml) of a cup of warmed milk (85F)
- 2 egg yolks (use the whites to glaze the bread)
- 1 cup (200 g) of Nutella
- large bowl
- wooden spoon
- rolling pin
- 1 small bowl
- baking sheet (buttered & floured)
- linen cloth
- small glass or cup
- sharp kitchen knife
- First, pour milk into a saucepan and heat it to 85 F°. When the milk is warm, add yeast, one tbs of sugar and let it sit for 15 minutes to activate. Then add the egg yolks and sugar.
- Then, in a large bowl, combine all the ingredients (add cardamom to the flour). Mix everything with a wooden spoon. Knead dough for about 7-10 minutes.
- If your dough is smooth and a little sticky, put it into a bowl, cover with a linen cloth, and set it in a warm place. Let it rise for 1 – 1 1/2 hour or double in size).
- When the dough is almost ready, you can turn on the oven and heat it to 350°F. Put your chocolate spread into a bowl with hot water.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for around 1 minute, then divide it into 4 equal parts and roll it out. Roll the first of four parts into a circle. Place a baking pan or a plate on the dough and cut out a circle with a knife.
- Place the dough circle on the baking sheet (with butter and flour) and spread a thin layer of Nutella on the dough with a spatula. Roll out another layer of dough and place it on the previous one and spread it with the Nutella. Repeat the procedure with the next layer and place the last circle on top. Mark the center with a small cup.
- Divide the cake into quarters – start cutting from the marked circle (remember to leave the center intact!) Then, divide every quarter into four equal parts. At the end you should have 16 equal parts. Take two parts of the cake in both hands and twist them twice in the opposite directions. Repeat with all pairs to form a star. Twist the ends of each arm underneath to create a round shape.
- Brush the surface of the bread with egg white before putting it into the oven. Bake at 350°F, for around 15 to 20 minutes.
*how to make Danish Christmas rice pudding with cherry sauce dessert recipe (Risalamande med kirsebærsauce)
Our Scandinavian recipes including Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish are on http://scandinavtoday.blogspot.com/
Follow us either on Twitter @scandinavtoday, Blogger, Google+, Google Pages, Pinterest and Subscribe to our YouTube Chanel Scandinavian Today! Let’s get cooking Scandinavian foods!