Tillykke med fødselsdagen Hans Christian Andersen!! Hans Christian Andersen’s birthday was on April 2nd. So we thought it would be fun to make his favorite raspberry bars in celebration of his birthday!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or 2 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup almond flour)
- 1 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 tbsp butter, diced into small cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar for glaze
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 1 cup raspberry jam or preserves
- decorating sprinkles / nonpareils
- Whisk together flour, 1 1/4 cups confectioner’s sugar.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles small crumbs (it will be the texture of basic pie crust dough).
- Mix in beaten egg to form a soft dough and add the vanilla extract.
- Divide dough into two halves, cover each with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Using a rolling pin roll out each half of the chilled dough into an 10″ x 10″ square.
- Trim the edges to make them square, then carefully roll the dough around your pin and transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Spread raspberry jam on bottom layer and cover with top layer.
- Combine 1 cup confectioner’s sugar with 2 Tbsp. water to form a thick glaze. Spread on top layer of cookie and sprinkle with nonpareils.
- Once the glaze has “set” (about 10 minutes), cut into bars.
Enjoy with a glass of milk, a cup of coffee or tea.
THUMBS UP FOR MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS ONE!
Send us pictures of what you like to serve with the Raspberry Bars!
Karen Grete and Heidi