The Danish holiday (Store Bededag Great Prayer Day) celebrated on the 4th Friday after Easter. In the year 1686 the Danish King Christian decided to collect certain holidays into one big day called Store Bededag. This way the Danes had more days to work.
- 2½ dl flour
- 6 oz milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2-1 tsp cardamom (according to taste)
- 4 tbs butter
- Mix the warm milk with 1 1/2 tsp yeast, 1 tsp sugar.
- Mix the flour with 1/2-1 tsp cardamom, 1 tsp sugar and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Add the egg and the melted butter to the milk and pour it all into the flour.
- Knead the dough for about 10 min, cover it with a towel, and let the dough rise for about 1 1/2 -2 hour.
- Roll the dough and cut it into 8 buns. Leave the buns in a pan sprayed with oil and dusted with flour. Cover it up and let the rise for 1-2 hours.
- Bake the buns in the oven at 400F for about 20- 25 minutes. Let them cool a little and cut them in two pieces.
- Place the cut buns in the oven for about 5-6 min on a baking sheet at 400F.
- Serve the buns hot (or cold) with butter and jam or cheese with coffee or tea.Enjoy!
*how to make Danish Christmas rice pudding with cherry sauce dessert recipe (Risalamande med kirsebærsauce)
Follow us either on Twitter @scandinavtoday, Blogger, Google+, Google Pages, Pinterest and Subscribe to our YouTube Chanel Scandinavian Today! Let’s get cooking Scandinavian foods!