There are different variations of sourdough rye bread. The following wholegrain rye bread recipe is a sourdough rye bread. This recipe is fast and easy to make. To give the bread extra flavor I sprinkled sunflower. I like the added extra flavor of sunflower seeds. However, the sunflower seeds are optional too.
Makes 1 bread
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup chopped rye kernels
- 1/2 cup sourdough
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1 pkg yeast
- 1 tbsp dark molasses
- 1 tsp salt
- Put the sunflower, flax seeds and rye kernels into a pot. Add enough water to cover the mixture. Boil the mixture for approx. 5 min or until the grains are soft.
- After the mixture has been cooking for 5 minutes, pour it into the mixing bowl, and let it cool down a little. Add the rest of cold water into the mixture as it is cooling down.
- As soon as the mixture is finger warm add the salt, molasses, and 1 cup of the flour. Then mix the mixture.
- Next add 1/2 cup sourdough and 1 pkg of yeast into the bowl and mix it again.
- Finally add the last 1 cup of flour. If it is too wet add a little more flour, so it can keep its shape. Mix the mixture for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spray the baking pan with oil and sprinkle with flour.
- Pour in the dough and let it rise for 1-2 hours.
- After the bread has risen slice the bread across.
- Brush the bread with cold water and sprinkle it with sunflower seeds.
- Bake the bread in the oven for approx. 1 hour 15 min at a degree of 375F.
- Take the bread out of the oven, remove it from the form and place it on a rack to cool down before you put it in a plastic bag or a bread box.
You might want to wait till the next day before you slice the bread.
As you can see in our YouTube video that I enjoyed the bread with just butter. That is how good this recipe is! Of course if you like to have a simple sandwich just with cold cuts or a delicious smørrebrød this bread is great for this too. Be sure to check out our selection of smørrebrød to see the variety of possibilities.
Our Scandinavian recipes including Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish are on http://scandinavtoday.blogspot.com/
*how to make Danish Christmas rice pudding with cherry sauce dessert recipe (Risalamande med kirsebærsauce)
Follow us either on Twitter @scandinavtoday, Blogger, Google+, Google Pages, Pinterest and Subscribe to our YouTube Chanel Scandinavian Today! Let’s get cooking Scandinavian foods!