Over the years a variety of Danish pastries were developed and became known as wienerbrød in Denmark. One of the wienerbrød we are making today is the Danish Kringle. This Danish Kringle is a butter-layered Danish pastry shaped like a pretzel made from a yeast dough and filled with a marzipan mixture. However, the Danish Kringle can be made of different types of dough too.
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 12 oz butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tblsp bread machine yeast
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 tbsp butter
- 8 oz. almond paste
- 2 tblsp pearl sugar mixed
- 2 tblsp chopped almonds
- Dissolve yeast in milk. Heat up the heavy cream to approx. 100F and add it to the yeast mixture. Leave it for 5-10 min.
- Add eggs and sugar in the bowl. Mix it up and add, vanilla extract, cardamom, salt and mix it up. Next add milk and yeast mixture and mix it.
- Add 1/2 of the flour and mix it well before you add approx. 1/2 of the remaining flour and mix it for a couple of minutes. Pour flour on the table and mix the dough by hand. Cover it up with plastic wrap on a plate and leave it to rise for about 1 hours.
- Take the butter and sprinkle it with a little of the remaining flour and roll it out with a rolling pin and/or mix it by hand.
- In the meantime mix the following for the filling, sugar, butter and marzipan in a bowl.
- Roll out the dough in a circle on a floured surface and place the butter in the center. Cover up the butter with the dough and roll it out. Fold it up and roll it out approx. 3 times.
- Roll out the dough approx.30″ long and approx. 8″ wide and place the filling in the center. Cover the filling with the dough, seal it well and shape the kringle.
- Place the kringle on the baking sheet which has been sprayed with oil and sprinkled with flour. Leave it to rise for approx. 1 hour.
- Topping for the kringle is 1 egg mixed w/ 1 tbls. milk. Brush it on the dough and finally sprinkle it with the chopped almond and sugar mixture.
- Bake the kringle in the oven for approx. 35-45 min. at 400F.
Follow us either on Twitter @scandinavtoday, Blogger, Google+, Google Pages, Pinterest and Subscribe to our YouTube Chanel Scandinavian Today! Let’s get cooking Scandinavian foods!