When I received a request to make homemade licorice meringues, I was really excited to make these. First of all, because I love all things licorice. I probably eat licorice candy each day. As well I thought it was a fun and easy way to jazz up meringue cookies.
Several years ago, when I was in Copenhagen, I was shopping in the department store called Magasin. It is a grand old department store that my family has shopped at for many generations. Located near the Royal Ballet Theater and a gorgeous old hotel called Hotel D’Angleterre. Inside the multilevel store, I found the delicious licorice brand called John Bulow. It had almost like its own kiosk or pop up store space. We purchased all kinds of licorice candies to bring back to the US. I probably purchase 3 or 4 bags of licorice goodies. As well we purchased a few things to use for cooking including licorice powder. So, I happen to have licorice powder that came from Denmark. I have been meaning to make licorice recipes from scratch using the licorice powder. So this was perfect timing for me to make licorice meringues.
Meringue Cookies are easy to make! Here is our recent Youtube video that we did recently. Take a look or following along while reading the written recipe below.
- 15 ounces of sugar
- 7 ounces of egg whites
- 2 tablespoons of licorice powder
- Pour sugar onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake sugar at 390 F° for 7 minutes.
- While sugar is in the oven, pour the egg whites into a mixer.
- Whisk egg whites at slow speed for a few minutes.
- Then increase to medium speed so the meringues become stiff peaks.
- Turn your mixer up to high speed at the last 30 seconds left of the
- sugar baking in the oven.
- Take the hot sugar out of the oven.
- Very slowly add one tablespoon of the hot sugar into the beaten egg whites.
- Mix on full speed.
- Make sure it comes back up to stiff peaks after each teaspoon of hot sugar.
- Add the raw licorice powder and continue to mix.
- Continue to whisk on full speed until you have a smooth, stiff and glossy mixture.
- The sugar and licorice powder should be completely incorporated.
- Bake for about 90 minutes at 225 F°.
- The meringues should come off the parchment paper clean.
Licorice Meringue Cookies are really easy to make. You can add food coloring to give these a fun twist if you are planning to have a party or to celebrate a holiday. For example, if you plan to celebrate Fastelavn, try making these black by adding black food coloring. Black Licorice Meringue Cookies would be fun to make for a Fastelavn theme party for sure! If you want to make these for Valentine’s Day then add pink coloring food.
Serve these cookies with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk.