- 1 large egg yolk*
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
- Optional 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard (or other mustard)
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Combine egg yolk, 1/2 cup oil vegetable oil and olive oil gradually into a medium bowl. Whisk the mixture.
- Add lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/4 teaspoon salt into the medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.
- Whisking constantly (by hand or using an electric mixer)
- If need be, add additional vegetable oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time and gradually. Whisk constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, or for about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color).
- Cover and chill. Can be kept for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
* Raw egg is not recommended. To avoid the risk of salmonella infection we recommend that you use a pasteurized egg yolk or organic free-range egg yolk.