This time of the year, I think about what to make for midsummer celebrations. Midsummer celebrations is an important Nordic tradition and a lot of people look forward to attending. We have a tradition in my family to have dinner at our house, go to the beach, build a bonfire, bake bread on a stick and sing Danish songs.
So, I decided to make a Swedish Rhubarb Crumble for dessert because you can make it for a lot of people. As well I saw so much rhubarb in the grocery stores lately that I thought it was an easy decision to make this delicious dessert. The great thing is people can decide how much they want to scoop out from the pan.
What makes this dessert Swedish from what I understand is the flour and oatmeal combination. Just make sure to buy the correct rolled oats and not the quick or 5 minutes oatmeal. Otherwise the dessert won’t taste correct.
How to Make Swedish Rhubarb Crumble ☀ Rabarberpaj
🌸 Ingredients 🌸
- 6 cups of rhubarb, chopped into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (for extra cinnamon flavor)
Rhubarb Filling instructions:
- Put the chopped rhubarb, granulated sugar, and cornstarch in a large bowl and toss together.
- Transfer the rhubarb into a prepared buttered 8-inch ovenproof dish.
- Spread and pack the fruit down well. Then set the pan aside.
For crumble topping:
- 1 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 20 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 2 cups oats
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add sliced butter, flour and light brown sugar together in a large bowl. Rub everything together with your fingertips, making sure that there are a few pea-sized lumps of butter left.
- Mix oats, cinnamon almond slices into a medium bowl.
- Stir in the oats mixture into the large bowl and mix well.
- Rub in the butter using your finger tips until it forms crumbs and starts to stick together.
- Crumble the mixture loosely over the rhubarb filling so you can still see the rhubarb mixture underneath. (You might not need it all.)
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the fruit is soft and the crumble is golden brown on top.
- Set aside to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Best to serve warm or hot and eaten the same day. 🥄 Delicious with a cup of coffee, tea or a glass of milk. ☕
I like to decorate the tables with the flowers to create a midsummer feel. As well, always like to use my summer dishes and floral placemats and runners too. Especially since we only have several months to enjoy these during the year!
The Swedish Rhubarb crumble goes well with vanilla ice cream or whipped.Traditionally rabarberpaj is served with vaniljsås (vanilla sauce). I plan to make the sauce another day for you all. 😀 🎈
❄️We hope you enjoyed our video and recipe! ❄️ Give us thumbs up if you like this video & subscribe for more videos. 👍👍 Thanks! Tak!