The Swedish Herring Salad is a salad we should make more often. As you can see the video how much Karen Grete just loved eating it. We hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
Approx. 4 Servings
- 2 1/2 oz salt herring or Matjes herring fillets in wine-flavored sauce
- 1/2 cup diced boiled potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced pickled beets
- 1 tblsp diced dill pickles
- 1 tblsp finely chopped onion
- 2 tblsp liquid from pickled beets
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Dash of pepper
- 1/2 cup yogurt (optional mayonnaise or whipped cream)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 tblsp diced apple (optional)
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
- 1 bowl
- one measuring cup and measuring spoons
- a knife
- cutting board
- large bowl
- Mince herring fillets fine.
- Finely mince all the other diced ingredients, so the flavors will blend well and mix them gently together.
- To prepare the dressing combine yogurt, beet juice, mustard, pickle, sugar and pepper and blend well in large bowl.
- Next, gently stir in the chopped beets, onions and potatoes.
- Then, stir in the minced herring.
- If need be, adjust with beet juice, beets or another ingredient
- Chill before serving in the large bowl for aprox. an hour.
- Garnish with hard-boiled eggs and chopped parsley. Serve with a side of rye bread
Another serving option
- For a pretty look pack the red beet herring salad into a mold or bowl which has been rinsed with cold water and greased lightly with oil.
- Then, chill before serving.
- Unmold onto a serving platter and garnish with hard-boiled eggs and chopped parsley. Serve with a side of rye bread.