Early in the summer, I usually get pansies. Pansies is one of the first signs that Midsummer is around the corner. The colors are so beautiful and pop in my yard. So I have to get pansies. Then, I usually start planting seeds for other summer flowers such as Bachelor button, morning glory and marigolds. As well my perennial flowers starts appearing in my yard too. So I usually have a nice assortment of flowers by the time we celebrate Midsummer.
Midsummer usually involves picking flowers in my yard, enjoying the warmer weather and eating great Swedish food with my family and friends. This Cold Poached Salmon (Kall inkokt lax) is a Swedish classic for midsummer celebrations that is easy to prepare. This simple summer dish is perfect for picnics and outdoor dining as well.
Swedish Cold Poach Salmon Recipe:
- 2 salmon fillet
- 6 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 white small onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 pieces of dill
- 1 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
optional: add chopped carrots
See our recipe video to see how Karen Grete prepares the cold poached salmon dinner.
- Fill a big pot of 6 cups of water.
- Place all the marinade ingredients (salt, white wine vinegar, peppercorn peppers, lemon slices, chopped white onion, dill, star anise, bay leaves) in a large pot.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Keep the salmon as one piece. Leaving the skin on the fish makes
it easier to remove the salmon from the pan in one piece.
- Scoring the skin enables the flavors to penetrate the fish.
- Put each salmon in the pot.
- Return to boil for 1 minute. Then turn off the heat.
- When cold enough, transfer to the fridge and leave to cool overnight.
- Then remove the salmon from the pot and let it drain a bit before
- Make sure to have already prepare the Swedish dill mayonnaise sauce. https://youtu.be/DEUH9bsI9Bw
On a plate place the cold salmon with summer potatoes a dallop of Swedish dill mayonnaise sauce and lemon. I really enjoy asparagus which as a side dish but you could pick any summer vegetable or even a salad.
We hope you enjoyed our video and recipe! ❄️ Give us thumbs up if you like this video & subscribe for more videos. 👍👍 Thanks! Tak!