Rhubarb has been an important ingredient in Denmark since the 1800’s. Summer memories including gardens with rhubab growing in Danish garden’s such as my Mormor’s garden. As well, rhubarb recipes such as rabarbergrød.
Here is modern rhubarb recipe that I had in Bakken a couple summers ago. One of the restaurants had a salad buffet with a rhubarb salad. So simple and delicious. I had never tried a rhubarb salad before. This had a nice sweet citrus flavor. The rhubarb becomes softened slightly while soaking in the citrus juices. I have had this recipe on my mind since being a Bakken. Here I added sliced strawberries and mint to this salad recipe which compliments rhubarb very well too.
How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Salad 🍓
4 cups of thinly sliced rhubarb
1/2 a cup of orange juice
1/2 a cup of lemon juice 🍋
3/4 cup of sugar
Clean & slice 2 cups of strawberries. 🍓
Slice or tear fresh 3 or 4 mint leaves
Toasted sliced almonds
-slice 4 cups of thinly sliced rhubarb
-Mix rhubarb, orange juice, lemon juice and sugar in a bowl.
-Let rhubarb mixture sit until slightly softened and releases its juices, about 30 minutes.
-Preheat oven to 350°. Toast sliced almonds until golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Let cool.
-Clean & slice 2 cups of strawberries.
-After 30 minutes mix in sliced strawberries and torn mint leaves and sprinkle toasted almonds over salad.
-Mix the strawberry rhubarb mixture in the bowl. 🥄
Serve the same day. The salad will become too soft if served the next day.
❄️We hope you enjoyed our video and recipe! ❄️ Give us thumbs up if you ike this video & subscribe for more videos. 👍👍 Thanks! Tak!\\\\
Last summer (summer of 2013) we entered into the Jamie Oliver’s Search for a Food Tube Star with Uncle Ben’s Rice competition. We had to so much fun making this video. We loved trying to use a typical Danish dish with Uncle Ben’s Rice.
Our entry recipe video was a Lox Curry Rice Open-Faced Sandwich or in Danish “rissalat med karry og røget laks på smørrebrød”. The open sandwich recipe is a tall sandwich because of the layers of colorful toppings. To give the Norwegian smoked salmon sandwich a yummy twist we created for the base of the sandwich a rice curry salad. Below was our YouTube video entry on how to make this delicious Smørrebrød!
- 1 slice of white bread (Italian or French)
- butter (European-style butter is easier to spread)
- 1 cup of cooked (cold) Uncle Ben’s Rice Boiled in a Bag (or your favorite rice)
- 1/2 a cup of mayonnaise
- 2 slices of Norwegian smoked salmon
- 1 hard boiled cold egg (sliced into 1/4 wedges)
- 1 tablespoon of chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon of curry
- 1 teaspoon of capers
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1/2 a tomato (sliced into small wedges)
- chopped dill for taste & decoration
- salt and pepper to taste
Rice Curry Salad:
- Cook the Uncle Ben’s Boiled Rice in a Bag. We used Uncle Ben’s Rice In a Bag because it was so convenient. The delicious rice cooks in 10 minutes! Once the rice is cooked set it aside until it is cold.
- Add 1/2 a cup of cold rice into a bowl. Then add the mayonnaise and mix it into the rice. Then, add the chopped onion, mustard and curry into the mixture. Finally add salt and pepper to taste. Mix the mixture well as this is the base for the sandwich.
- Before adding a topping, spread butter onto either a slice of French or Italian bread. This protects the bread from moisture.
- Add one to two large spoonfuls of the rice curry salad over the buttered bread. The rice curry salad should cover the bread.
- Place the slices of tomatoes into a shape of a star. (see video)
- In between each slice of tomato add a wedge of a hard boiled egg (see video)
- Place chopped dill on top of the sliced tomatoes and egg. This gives a nice colorful contrast.
- The lox we used in our recipe is the delicious Norwegian Smoked Salmon (røget laks). Lay flat the smoked salmon slices on top of each other.
- Add a teaspoon of capers onto the Norwegian smoked salmon. Roll the Norwegian Smoked Salmon into a roll. (see video)
- Place the Norwegian Smoked Salmon Roll strait up (make sure the capers don’t fall out). Then stick the salmon roll straight up on top of the dill. If you are looking straight down onto the sandwich, you should see capers inside the roll. (see video)
- Garnish with more capers if you love capers!
Serve on plate with silverware. It is a great sandwich for either lunch or dinner.
If you like the video, please be sure to subscribe to our YouTube Channel Scandinavian Today. Our channel has videos including
*how to make Danish Christmas rice pudding with cherry sauce dessert recipe (Risalamande med kirsebærsauce)
*how to make Swedish Glogg for Christmas & cold evenings! (glögg or mulled wine recipe)
*how to make aeblskiver (æbleskiver)
*how to make Danish Christmas Klejner
*how to make easy Danish cucumber salad (arguksalat)
*how to make Danish sugar browned potatoes (brunede kartofler)
*how to make Danish red cabbage (rødkaal)
These recipes are perfect for the holiday season. Please let us know what you think ♥ !
Our Scandinavian recipes including Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish are on http://scandinavtoday.blogspot.com/
Follow us either on Twitter @scandinavtoday, Blogger, Google+, Google Pages, Pinterest and Subscribe to our YouTube Chanel Scandinavian Today! Let’s get cooking Scandinavian foods!
We have been working hard on making a summer trailer for 2014 and it just went live!
Also below is our first trailer that we did in the summer of 2013
Wishing everyone a fun summer!
Karen Grete and Heidi